Monday, February 16, 2009

Dressing up the Greens

I'm always fanatically looking for new salad dressings to add to my repertoire, especially since I try to make greens a big thing in my lifestyle. Often I like just the simple, like a drizzle of olive or flax oil with some course sea salt and a squirt of fresh lemon...but sometimes, especially when I'm feeling really hungry, I like something more complex.

I was at a potluck yesterday and one of my friends, Lydia, brought a salad with the most lovely dressing...I liked it so much I asked her to send it to me so I could publish it on my blog. She's really into raw food and running too, so she's very inspring for me to chat with.

So here's the lovely recipe she dreamed up...

Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing

3 Tbsp White Balsamic Vinegar

2 cloves of garlic, minced

2 Tbsp Flax Seed Oil (you could also use/mix coconut and olive oil)

1/2 Lemon, juiced

1 tsp Lemon zest

1 tsp Tahini (I bet you could use Dijon mustard for a similar effect if you don't have Tahini)

1 Tbsp Raw Honey or Pure Maple Syrup

2 Tbsp Poppy Seeds

1/2 to 3/4 cup H2O

Dash of Sea Salt

Thoroughly blend garlic w/ balsamic vinegar. Add remaining ingredients. Add more honey, lemon, or vinegar to taste. If you find it entirely too tart, you could add a drop of liquid stevia. Note: given an hour, the dressing will cure moderately. Store in fridge.

And if you have any lovely, simple recipes you love to splash your salads with...drop a note in the comment box and tell me about it.

And I'm sorry I haven't been posting regularly for a while...it's not that I've been lazy, we've been having a crazy winter (with computer problems) and I've been longing to be more regular with the blogging...so I'm trying. :)

blog comments powered by Disqus