Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Keeping Accountable

I always used to have the idea that 3 meals a day and no snacking was the best idea for me...because, by my logic, I thought that by the time we'd eat our meals I'd be really hungry and ready to eat, so then I'd enjoy the food more.

Nope. Doesn't work for me anymore (and I wonder if it actually did). I've discovered what works best for me is small meals and snacks...about 2-3 snacks a day. Before, because I was so ravenously hungry I'd eat more than I would normally and not feel as nice...but now because I've had a snack a couple hours before, I'm not starved...therefore I eat the right amount of food at meal times.

This way I keep my metabolism revved all day, I feel good always, I'm never so weak I'm about to tip over, and it keeps my energy levels better.

I also like to keep myself accountable for how much water or herbal tea I drink, how much exercise I do, and what kind of foods I eat. I print out lists for myself off the computer (like the example below) and try to make sure by the end of the day I've eaten lots of healthy, raw foods, drank 8-10 glasses of water, and done something physical.

Here's today's (of what I've done so far):

Breakfast~ 1 glass of Ani Phyo's Cacao Banana Smoothie (check out her new site) *sniffles* today I ran out of my raw cacao nibs...sigh...I love that stuff

Snack~ None today

Lunch~ 1/2 cup steel-cut oats with cinnamon,1 tsp. raw honey, and 1 TB. grape nuts

Snack~ organic baby carrots

Dinner~ (not exactly sure yet, but I know there will be some delish Caesar salad)

Water~ OOOO (two green tea)

Fitness~ ran 4 miles

You can print out something similar to this on your own PC and then fill out what you've drank, eaten, or exercised during the day. I like making stuff like this fun with colored pencils and doodles...I'm the kind of person that needs to keep myself accountable to eat healthy and if you are too, then do something similar to this. I'm sort of an "organized" person so I even keep checklists of foods that I try to eat every day so I cover my grounds nutritionally (such as lots of leafy greens, a fruit or green smoothie, get my EFA's through raw oils like olive oil or avocado, ect).

Have fun!

blog comments powered by Disqus