Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Life means more...

A couple days ago my family and I were in a car accident...we were on our way to do a concert, so we had our trailer hooked up to our van.

We hit black ice, and our van and trailer went out of control, going 103 kms and we slid across 3 lanes and a median and landed backwards on the other side of the ditch. It was the wildest, most frightening ride of my life, especially since I didn't have my seatbelt on (I always will now). Our van stayed upright, which was an absolute miracle, but our trailer came off the hitch and flipped. The angels were sure working overtime, but I don't think any of us have ever been so scared. Everything happened so quickly and suddenly thoughts like "Is this when I die?" come racing through your head. The police, ambulance, and fire fighters were all there, and all of them could not believe we hadn't rolled going at such a speed. It could have been our last day on this earth, as well as others, as the highway was so busy, but there was only about a 5 second break when we crossed the meridian over to the other 2 (oncoming traffic) lanes when no one was there. God kept the traffic away for those few seconds...just enough for us to cross.

I feel like I can look at life a bit differently now...as soon as our van came to a halt and we looked around to see if everyone was alright, tears filled my eyes...I looked over at my family and thought to myself, "Why do I sweat the small stuff, why don't I just love instead?"

Life is short, so short. I feel like I know that better now and I want to make my life count even more than I did before...a brush with death gives you a new perspective...but oh, how much better it would be, if I could realize that without an accident! God kept me and my family safe, so He has purposes for us to live here a while longer...and I want to love Him back and love my family more because of it.

Just love...some things really just don't matter.

blog comments powered by Disqus