Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Superfood: Bee Pollen, the energy elixir


DAY 2

One of my favorite words is ... energy!!! Electrifying, rejuvinating, vigor, liveliness, glorious energy. Who doesn't want that?? God wants us to have abounding energy so that we can love and serve Him better and He has put the most awesome foods on this planet for that purpose. I mean, who really likes feeling sluggish and tired, worn out and frazzled? NOT ME!!!
The raw food diet gives you SO much energy! My poor family has to tell me to settle down sometimes because I get a little, ahem, lively...but that's a thousand times better than feeling sick and slow! And I'm not saying that if you eat only raw you'll never feel tired again, believe me, there are times and circumstances where I'm exhausted and I'm eating raw, but you see, those times are fewer and farther between than it used to be! This is exciting! With the raw diet, energy is ours for the taking! Raw food gives life, it's full of life-giving enzymes, minerals, vitamins, so incredible.
Here's some great info about one of the exciting energy-infusing superfoods God has given us:


BEE POLLEN


It contains over 96 different nutrients, including every single nutrient needed to sustain life. This superfood is made up of 40% protein all usable by the body without any other breakdown or metabolism. It contains 22 amino acids, vitamin C, B-complex, folic acid, polyunsaturated fatty acids, enzymes, and carotene, all of the major antioxidants. In addition, it benefits your body with a number of vital trace elements that it can’t manufacture, but needs in order to stay healthy. These include iron, zinc, manganese, copper, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Also it has vitamins B, E, D, selenium, lecithin, and cysteine which strengthen the immune system. It has been known to give endurance and energy and build resistance to allergies (because of the traces of substances which trigger allergies, like a shot, but it should be avoided by people who have an allergy or sensitivity to bee venom).

Bee pollen is a taste you have to let "grow" on you and until you like it by itself, put a bit in your daily smoothie or even a bit in your salad dressing (just not too much) as you blend it up. Perhaps in time, you'll like it on top of your raw ice-creams, smoothies, or salads even. I don't love the taste yet, but I don't mind eating it by itself, but like I said...it "grows "on you.

2 comments:

Marcy said...

I love bee pollen every morning with a banana while I read my email. I just put a bit on a paper plate and dip the banana in it as I eat. Yum. You are right about the energy.
Marcy

Charis said...

Sounds good! Bee pollen is such an awesome thing!